Saturday, July 14, 2012

New Testament Holiness

I was reading from "The Holy Way" by Dr. Dale Yocum today.  I believe that his insight into the doctrine of holiness is quite helpful.

As we look into the New Testament and study what it has to say about holiness, we notice that there are 2 families of English words that are used.  These words are "holy" and "sanctify".  Both of these words (and their derivatives) come from the same root word in the Greek. 
  There is no verb form for holy in our English language.   However, there is a noun form for each word. 

Is there actually a difference between being holy and being sanctified?

Yocum says that holiness in the ceremonial sense is the "purification from sin".  And that holiness in the ethical sense is "being made free from sin".

He continues by explaining the sanctification is the action of God cleansing our hearts from sin.  Holiness is the state that is the result of this cleansing.


This cleansing is two-fold.
  The first part of this cleansing is external.
  As a sanctified person, we cease from the action of sin.  We are cleansed from sinful acts.  We no longer live a life that is characterized by sin.  This happens at salvation.  We commonly call this initial sanctification. 
The second part, called by many different names including "entire sanctification", is when God cleanses our hearts from sin.  Other descriptive names for this work include: baptism of the Holy Spirit, full consecration, perfect love, full surrender.

How can we rightly say that this is 2 separate works?

Consider this with me for a few moments.  I encourage you to open your Bible and follow along as we look at a few references.

The first reference is I Corinthians 1:2.  The apostle Paul addresses his epistle to the "saints" at the church in Corinth.  Literally, he is writing to the "holy ones" in this church.  As we will see later, they have been saved (forgiven of their sins), but are not entirely sanctified.

Again in I Cor. 6:11, Paul mentions that they have been sanctified.

In chapter 3, we are told how this church is in a state of spiritual babyhood and are yet carnal (in the flesh/ fleshly).  And yet, in this same chapter, Paul tells them that they are the holy temple of God (I Cor. 3:17).

In II Corinthians 7:1, the apostle tells this same church that they need a cleansing "from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God". 
 

I Thessalonians 5:23 is a frequently used verse on the subject of entire sanctification.  Dr. Daniel Steele says that in the Greek, the tense of the verb translated "sanctify" signifies that this work is instantaneous (happens in a moment of time) in the heart of a man.

Holiness, as I understand it, is something that begins when we are saved.  But we are to continue in holiness throughout the rest of our lives.

Dr. Alan Brown has said that a simple one-word definition for holiness is "Christ-likeness".

No comments:

Post a Comment